FLATWATER LIFEGUARD AWARD
Please note: Flatwater Skills is pre-requisite for Flatwater Lifeguard.
Holders of the Flatwater Lifeguard Award are qualified to manage a paddling activity in enclosed situations, performing rescues as required, where the group under supervision can be seen from a single vantage point at any time and does not leave the immediate launch area
Flatwater Lifeguard Course Format
The course will include both on-water practical and off-water theory components.
Please come prepared for paddling. That means ensuring sufficient warm clothing to change into after on-water sessions.
The course format is subject to change (due to changing weather conditions or at the discretion of course staff).
The course content will include:
- Hazard identification & risk assessment of an enclosed area paddling session
- Planning a paddling session (enclosed area)
- Instruction & training methodologies
- Communication and leadership
- Environmental impact
- Flatwater paddling skills
At the commencement of the course you will be provided with:
- Australian Canoeing Award Scheme Flatwater Lifeguard resources booklet (or e-copy)
- Information about the assessment process.
You will be provided with relevant industry information during the course.
For those who do not meet the pre-requisite experience requirements, the course will serve as an experience towards assessment at a later date. Assessment of the practical components of the course can be conducted at a later date by negotiation with the Canoe SA office or an appropriate assessor (costs may apply). Please contact Canoe SA (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As candidates may commence the course with different skill levels, assessments for Australian Canoeing Awards will be discussed with participants throughout the course. It is important that you bring the following documents with you to the course to ensure the most streamlined pathway to final assessment. Please contact the Canoe SA office if there are any questions.
Documents required for assessment (electronic copies only please):
- Senior First Aid Certificate
- Logbook / summary of paddling experience that meets the requirements of award being assessed
- Any relevant qualifications (such as teaching certificates, AustSwim, AYF) and existing statements of attainment
- Completed Assessment Project for ACAS award being sought.
The course registration fee does not include fees for assessment or fee for registration of the Flatwater Lifeguard Awards.
As the course contains some assessment components, it is important that you come prepared and with the correct clothing and equipment.
For further information, please visit the Canoe SA Education webpage.